Thread: Jetstream - Supporter Questions for Maurice Bisetto

Jetstream - Supporter Questions for Maurice Bisetto

Finalising a date to record with Maverick Sports Partners Director Maurice Bisetto, but in the interests of being organised Im putting a call out now for questions you would like to be answered by one of our new owners.
    Please be respectful etc will try to get whatever reasonable queries posted here to be answered (obviously where he is able to provide responses)
    I will also be posting this on our socials

Hoping to also have interviews with Jets CEO Shane Mattiske and Head Coach Rob Stanton in coming weeks as well
    Im also looking to see if I can line up an interview with Director of Football Ken Schembri too however we will probably look to wait a few weeks as he is only a new hire and will need some time to get acquainted with his responsibilities.

Cheers in advance all
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

Hi Furns,
    Not sure if you have had this meeting yet.

I'd like to ask a question though I think that their public answer will be the politically correct one.

How much freedom are fans allowed to have in how they choose to demonstrate their support in the stadium? Atmosphere was at it's best when there were streamers, banners, confetti, flags, standards.

The problems dogging the A-League comes down to the fact that they do not let fans define the football culture in the stadium. It then becomes boring. You need 2% of the crowd to be genuinely excited to be there and that enthusiasm will infect the whole crowd. The FFA made a mistake by punishing all teams for the sins of Melbourne Victory. They should have used them as an example and punished them while letting everywhere else flourish. Then they would have been jealous of the freedom every other team was allowed.

Granted, I haven't been to a game for years now but I don't see anything on tv from the game day experience that would get me excited about going. That needs to change if the new owners are to be successful.

Quote Originally Posted by Dezy1 View Post
    Hi Furns,
    Not sure if you have had this meeting yet.

I'd like to ask a question though I think that their public answer will be the politically correct one.

How much freedom are fans allowed to have in how they choose to demonstrate their support in the stadium? Atmosphere was at it's best when there were streamers, banners, confetti, flags, standards.

The problems dogging the A-League comes down to the fact that they do not let fans define the football culture in the stadium. It then becomes boring. You need 2% of the crowd to be genuinely excited to be there and that enthusiasm will infect the whole crowd. The FFA made a mistake by punishing all teams for the sins of Melbourne Victory. They should have used them as an example and punished them while letting everywhere else flourish. Then they would have been jealous of the freedom every other team was allowed.

Granted, I haven't been to a game for years now but I don't see anything on tv from the game day experience that would get me excited about going. That needs to change if the new owners are to be successful.
    Pretty much. The owners wont change game day supporter culture. Family friendly and Woke culture has killed it.
    A few in the supporters & a few of the top brass on here turned rainbow supporters. They were calling coastie c***s or Kiwi sheep Sh* ggers in one breath then feeling guilty that a minority person was in the group so that guy was cool. Some of the hypocrisy was embarrassing considering we didnt do any illegal chanting or behaviour.
    And then it all fell over.
    Yeah a couple of clubs went too grubby but we werent extreme at all. We just wanted to get our team up and give the other support a serve. Nothing more
    Last edited by finzee; 17-08-2024 at 04:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by finzee View Post
    Pretty much. The owners wont change game day supporter culture. Family friendly and Woke culture has killed it.
    A few in the supporters & a few of the top brass on here turned rainbow supporters. They were calling coastie c***s or Kiwi sheep Sh* ggers in one breath then feeling guilty that a minority person was in the group so that guy was cool. Some of the hypocrisy was embarrassing considering we didnt do any illegal chanting or behaviour.
    And then it all fell over.
    Yeah a couple of clubs went too grubby but we werent extreme at all.
    I've read through all the Minutes of the A-League Fan Representative Group and the Jets Fan Council and noone seems to care about it. The A-League FRG talk about issues with Security.

The main issue facing the game is how you allow football culture to thrive while also punishing the bad eggs and the best way is to reward the clubs with positive fan culture and to punish the clubs with negative fan culture.

I came back on the forum after reading an article in the Roar website titled "Why don't the A-Leagues get shown as much love as the Matildas and Socceroos?" and it also misses the point. The reason why the Matildas and Socceroos are shown love is because going to those games is still seen as an exciting crowd event, mainly because they are one-off events that people are happy to get excited at. When you are supporting a club through a season, you need passionate fans to create the atmosphere at each game.

2BobsWorth says the Squadron were embarrassing but it served the purpose. If it was embarrassing it was only because of the restrictions placed on it's activities. How can you not be embarrassing if all you can do to create atmosphere is sing the same chants over and over until the 20 of you lose your voice, while everyone else sits on there hands looking at you and thinking how embarrassing you are.

Organic support is being killed off around the world in favour of safe, family friendly choreographed support.

Think arranged chants, 120 decibel PAs with horrible music, inane ground announcers and kickoff countdowns.

That is the way of football culture now (it was even worse at the Olympics) and I doubt the owners can change much. I don't like it which is why I don't wait for the gates to open anymore, and prefer to arrive 10-15 mins to kickoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Dezy1 View Post
    I've read through all the Minutes of the A-League Fan Representative Group and the Jets Fan Council and noone seems to care about it. The A-League FRG talk about issues with Security.

The main issue facing the game is how you allow football culture to thrive while also punishing the bad eggs and the best way is to reward the clubs with positive fan culture and to punish the clubs with negative fan culture.

I came back on the forum after reading an article in the Roar website titled "Why don't the A-Leagues get shown as much love as the Matildas and Socceroos?" and it also misses the point. The reason why the Matildas and Socceroos are shown love is because going to those games is still seen as an exciting crowd event, mainly because they are one-off events that people are happy to get excited at. When you are supporting a club through a season, you need passionate fans to create the atmosphere at each game.

2BobsWorth says the Squadron were embarrassing but it served the purpose. If it was embarrassing it was only because of the restrictions placed on it's activities. How can you not be embarrassing if all you can do to create atmosphere is sing the same chants over and over until the 20 of you lose your voice, while everyone else sits on there hands looking at you and thinking how embarrassing you are.
    Did I say they were embarrassing, that's not like me, but I will say that Jets members don't follow actives like the major cities, it's more spontaneous and crowd driven. Most of us have been doing this a long time and don't need lectures
    Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    You are easily the worst person on this forum. Srs.

Quote Originally Posted by My2BobsWorth View Post
    Did I say they were embarrassing, that's not like me, but I will say that Jets members don't follow actives like the major cities, it's more spontaneous and crowd driven. Most of us have been doing this a long time and don't need lectures
    Well, no you didn't. You said this:

"I think it's time for some home truths, I spent 2 years on the wet hill, the boys thought the squadron were total dickheads, not one knew Furns or JP, I then moved to the Western where everyone was in red and blue, not one person knew Furns or JP. They only exist on this forum"

I think the problem with active support in Newcastle is that they shouldn't try to lead the crowd. They should just have a blast doing what they love to do and not give a shit about the rest of the crowd. Too many times I went home hoarse trying to make as much noise as possible when I probably would have enjoyed it more just singing at a normal volume with the people around me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    Organic support is being killed off around the world in favour of safe, family friendly choreographed support.

Think arranged chants, 120 decibel PAs with horrible music, inane ground announcers and kickoff countdowns.

That is the way of football culture now (it was even worse at the Olympics) and I doubt the owners can change much. I don't like it which is why I don't wait for the gates to open anymore, and prefer to arrive 10-15 mins to kickoff.
    The owners don't have to approve of anything, they just have to turn a blind eye and have an off the record agreement that certain activities won't be persecuted, like if a couple of supporters smuggle in some docket rockets and confetti. Or allow people to bring back standards if the poles are made with thin plastic tubing. Clamping down on these things, requiring activities to be approved by some Jets official or blaming active support leaders for these things is what has killed active support.

Cheers for the question and discussion lads. Dezy, havent had a confirmation yet on when Im going to be able to record with Maurice but I will definitely add it as Im fairly sure there was a recent meeting with the actives regarding moving forward into the season.

Cheers Furns. I hope it goes well. Would be great to catch up at a game this season.

hope everything will be ok!

Interview done and video posted to FB, YT and Insta accounts (@JetstreamNewy)
    Podcast version will be up in morning

Quote Originally Posted by furns;276***
    Interview done and video posted to FB, YT and Insta accounts (@JetstreamNewy)
    Podcast version will be up in morning
    What?s the Facebook page called please